Redplum

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

At the End of the Day I Am....



I learned a lesson in humility yesterday. I am on the job hunt, and after being a SAHM for EVER, I set out  with copies of my 1 page, quadruple spaced resume, and hit the town. I stopped at 2 businesses  that were hiring immediately,  and any place I thought I would be a good fit!

 So after dropping off 6 resumes, and filling out applications for job openings, I headed home and was sure I would recieve at least 1 callback while driving home, asking for me to come in to interview. Then it got later, the kids got home, I still waited, knowing my phone would ring any second,  then dinner was being made, making sure my cell was right near the stove,  after that, homework getting done, left the phone where it sat feeling a bit discouraged,  fights were refereed,  phone, I have no idea where it is, and life as I know it best took over, and the pitty party took over me. 

I admit, I was overzealous, but doesn't everyone get that way when applying for a job? I was sure that I would get a call the same day, then I realized  on paper I am nothing in the eyes of an employer. I have held three part time jobs in my entire life.  I have been a video store clerk, a kennel assistant and a waitress. And on paper,  2 of those 3 are now closed and long gone, and when people see that you were a waitress, they usually assume that it's a no-brainer job. But they were jobs to me. I  cashed my paychecks at the bank, I payed my bills, I  claimed my taxes.  

So my pitty-party began, I sulked, pouted, and was saddened. Then I looked around my home, and realized, on paper I may not be qualified, experienced, degreed, certified, or anything else needed to snag a position. But I know what I am. At the end of the day, I know I am a qualified caregiver, my kids lives depend on it! I know I am an experienced financial analyst....otherwise my electric and gas would be turned off and I could not budget for groceries and vacations! I am a certified wife, mother, friend and follower of the Lord, and at the end of the day, it does not matter what I am on paper. 



Subscribe to KTs Steals and Deals

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Katie. As I read this I felt like I was reading a magazine. It says so much about you! From reading this website alone I can tell you also have wonderful communication skills and organizational skills. Good luck! It is a very tough market out there ared anynoe would be lucky to have you as an employee.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete